The initiative for the "Promotion of Scientific Culture" has made available the list of the activities and events awarded in its third edition. The ten selected actions will run until May 2023 and stand out for their originality and interdisciplinary nature, putting into dialogue the areas of knowledge of the UC research centres and transmitting their knowledge to civil society.
The Promotion of Scientific Culture initiative began in 2019, with the reformulation of the Cultural Week of the University of Coimbra and the reorganisation of the events promoting scientific culture. Its aim is to support, with funding of up to €750 per action, ten events and activities carried out by researchers from the UC's various research centres and faculties. According to the Vice-Rector of the UC for Research and 3rd Cycle, Cláudia Cavadas, one of the initiative's objectives is to take the science developed at UC to people outside the academy. For the Vice-Rector for Culture and Open Science, Delfim Leão, the third edition of the initiative shows the growing maturity of this area of action, mirroring an ever-increasing openness to permeability between areas of knowledge.
The initiative "Promotion of Scientific Culture" is led by the Institute for Interdisciplinary Research of the UC (iiiUC). More detailed information about the project, as well as on the supported events and activities, are available at the iiiUC website: https://www.uc.pt/iii/iiiuc-apoia/apoio-a-promocao-da-cultura-cientifica/2022/
List of the 10 activities/events (with venues and dates)
- Science also sleeps: raising awareness about good (and bad) sleep habits (exposition and scientific dissemination activities) – until May 2023 (many venues)
- Coffee with debate. Artificial Intelligence and Responsibility: current legal and technical panorama (workshop) - September (UC Law Institute and Pedro Nunes Institute)
- SCHOLAE – IGAEDITANI (exposition, talks and visits) – Starting October (Idanha-a-Nova schools and others from Beira Baixa region)
- Dialogues on intolerance(s): on the occasion of the 200 years since the Inquisition ceased to exist (round tables, debates and interview) - until December (various locations, in person and online)
- EUROVALUES - The importance of European values in the link between school and university (artistic installation and training action) - until December (Secondary School of Estarreja)
- Strategies for the conservation of the museological heritage of the Science Museum of the University of Coimbra (debate, visit and workshops) - 19 and 26 November (Museu de Ciência da UC [UC Science Museum])
- Crossed knowledge: knowing, remembering, imagining and learning in the city (guided tours, training, exhibition and collaborative digital reservoir) - from October 2022 to April 2023 (various locations, in person and online)
- INSIDE OUT - Wood anatomy in the Coimbra University Botanical Garden (exhibition) - January and May 2023 (UC Botanical Garden and online)
- WORLD CITIES DAY - Citizenship Law and Culture (multidisciplinary activities) - September and December (various locations)
- #MitoGIM: Gymnastics, Mitochondria... & Us (activity stalls, comics, social media) - until December (face-to-face and online)