The University of Coimbra has eight Faculties (Letters, Law, Medicine, Science and Technology, Pharmacy, Economics, Psychology and Education Sciences, Sports Science and Physical Education) and over 22 thousand students. With an unavoidable historical heritage, the University of Coimbra celebrates its 733nd anniversary in 2023. With a unique material and immaterial heritage, fundamental in the history of European and world scientific culture, it has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2013.
The European University offers access to quality student-centered higher education. It is distinguished by its capacity for innovation and its differentiating academic model which is based on the principles of quality, internationalization and proximity to companies and the labor market. The European University offers Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral degrees, as well as Postgraduate courses in various areas such as Management, Law, Psychology, Human Resources, Marketing, Design, Communication, Sports, Information Technology and Technology and stands out as the leading higher education institution in the teaching of Hospitality Management and Tourism.
ESHTE is a polytechnic higher education institution of public law, at the service of society that aims at the high level qualification and excellence of the students who attend it, in the areas of catering, hospitality, leisure and tourism, through the promotion, production and dissemination of knowledge and culture, as well as the cultural, artistic, technological and scientific training, both of its students and of its employees and teachers, in a framework of international reference. ESHTE's training and research offer is enhanced by the School's location - in the Lisbon/Cascais/Sintra tourism axis - as well as by its insertion in a training center with unique structures at the higher education level in the areas of tourism, hotel and restaurant management.
- Women Research Network (Wonderers)
Science iD 881B-576B-3B6D / ORCID iD 0000-0002-8496-0986
Cláudia Seabra is a Professor in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the University of Coimbra, Portugal, where she coordinates the PhD in Tourism, Heritage, and Territory. She has a PhD in Tourism by University of Aveiro and a post-PhD in Economic and Social Geography by NovaSBE. She has published more than hundred titles, some of them in the Journal of Business Research, Tourism Management, Annals of Tourism Research, International Journal of Tourism Cities, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Management, ANATOLIA, and the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, among others. Also, she edited two books to EMERALD Publishing about Risks and Safety in Tourism. She is affiliated with the CEGOT – Geography and Spatial Planning Research Centre; and collaborates with CISeD – Research Centre in Digital Services. Her research interests are risk and safety in tourism.
Science iD DB13-4D3D-3BE4 / ORCID iD 0000-0002-3055-4915
Completed her PhD in Economic and Business Sciences - Management in 2016 by the University of Algarve Faculty of Economics, PhD in Economic and Business Sciences in 2016 by the University of Algarve, Master in MBA Marketing in 2008 by the University of Algarve Faculty of Economics and Master in Marketing in 2008 by the University of Algarve. She is an Adjunct Professor at the Estoril School of Hospitality and Tourism, and Vice-President at the Estoril School of Hospitality and Tourism. She is currently the Coordinator of two research centers, CIDI and CiTUR_Estoril. She has published 2 articles in specialized magazines. Has 2 book chapter(s). Organized 2 event(s). Participated in several scientific events. Supervised several Master's theses. He works in the area(s) of Social Sciences with emphasis on tourism, destination marketing and consumer behavior. In his professional activities he has interacted with 4 collaborator(s) in co-authorship of scientific papers.
Science iD C112-8416-D88A ORCID iD 0000-0003-4561-6776
Sofia holds a PhD in Tourism from the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning (IGOT) at Universidade de Lisboa, and a degree in Business Communication. Currently, she is Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Technologies, Universidade Europeia. Professor in Tourism and Hospitality Marketing; Digital Communication and Social Media; Brand Management; Digital Marketing and Events Management. Currently is also Coordinator of Digital Marketing Master. Sofia worked for fifteen years as a Marketing Director at the hotel marketing consortium, ARTEH® Hotels & Resorts, an independent hotel chain with international representation. Her research focuses on the areas of hotel management, networks, hotel marketing consortia, tourism marketing, hotel branding, digital marketing and lately her research interest is about the impacts of Covid-19 in the tourism sector. Sofia is a research member of the Centre for Geographical Studies, CEG/IGOT, Universidade de Lisboa.
Science iD E717-DDAF-2B87 ORCID iD 0000-0003-2415-3960
Concluded a PhD at University of Aveiro, and is a Specialist in the area of Education and Training in Tourism and Leisure by IPP-Instituto Politécnico do Porto. She holds a Master's degree in Tourism Management and Development from the University of Aveiro and a degree in Tourism Management and Planning from ISAG - Instituto Superior de Administração e Gestão. She is a researcher at the Governance, Competitiveness and Public Policy Research Unit (GOVCOPP) of the University of Aveiro, and at the Research Center for Business Sciences and Tourism (CICET-FCVC). She is coordinator and Professor at the Tourism Degree and at Ctesp in Tourism Product Development at ISAG - European Business School, and professor/trainer at several private and public entities. She has published book chapters and articles in peer-reviewed international scientific journals. Her research interests include accessible/inclusive tourism, consumer behaviour in tourism, the economy of experiences, and technologies in tourism. In addition to her teaching activities, Susana is an Official Tourist Guide and consultant in the field of tourism.
Scientific Chairs (alphabetical order)
- Ana Passos (Europeia University)
- Carlos Costa (University of Aveiro)
- Hélia Gonçalves Pereira (Europeia University)
- Fernanda Cravidão (University of Coimbra)
- João Albino Silva (University of Algarve)
- José Manuel Simões (Institute of Geography and Territory Planning – University of Lisbon)
- Norberto Santos (University of Coimbra)
- Teresa Guarda (Universidad Estatal Peninsula de Santa Elena, Ecuador)
Scientific chairs for publication (alphabetical order)
- Adélia Nunes (Cadernos de Geografia)
- Alastair Morrison (International Journal of Tourism Cities)
- Alfonso Vargas-Sánchez (Enlightening Tourism. A Pathmaking Journal)
- Andres Coca-Stefaniak (International Journal of Tourism Cities)
- Carlos Costa (Revista de Turismo & Desenvolvimento)
- Cláudia Seabra (Sustainability” – Special issue: "Overtourism Impact on the Environment: Searching for a More Environmentally Sustainable Industry")
- Dimitrios Buhalis (Tourism Review)
- Hanqin Qiu (Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism)
- Jean-Pierre van der Rest ( Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research)
- Marianna Sigala (Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management)
- Emmanuel Adu-Ampong (Tourism Planning and Development Journal)
- Giacomo Del Chiappa (European Journal of Tourism Research)
- Marina Novelli (Tourism Planning and Development Journal)
- Patricia Pinto (Journal of Tourism, Sustainability and Well-being)
- Rita Peres (Sustainability” – Special issue: "Overtourism Impact on the Environment: Searching for a More Environmentally Sustainable Industry")
- Sam Huang (Tourism Planning and Development Journal)
- Sofia Almeida (Sustainability” – Special issue: "Overtourism Impact on the Environment: Searching for a More Environmentally Sustainable Industry"))
- Stanislav Ivanov (European Journal of Tourism Research)
- Susana Mesquita (Sustainability” – Special issue: "Overtourism Impact on the Environment: Searching for a More Environmentally Sustainable Industry"))
The directors of all the degrees, masters’ and PhDs related to Tourism in Portugal will be invited to this committee (other courses from other areas, namely Geography, Marketing and Management will also be associated).
- Adriana Fumi Chim-Miki (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Aida Carvalho (Fundação Côa Parque)
- Alexandra Pereira (ISLA - Instituto Politécnico de Gestão e Tecnologia)
- Alexandra Vieira (Instituto Politécnico de Bragança)
- Alexandre Guedes (Universidade de Trás os Montes e Alto Douro)
- Alicia Orea-Giner (Universidad Rey Juan Carlos)
- Álvaro Dias (Universidade Lusófona)
- Ana Cláudia Campos (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Ana Gonçalves (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Ana Graça (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Ana Neto (ISEC Lisboa)
- Ana Paula Fonseca (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Ana Sofia Duque (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Anabela Monteiro (Universidade Europeia)
- Andreia Carvalho (Instituto Superior de Administração e Línguas)
- Andreia Moura (Escola Superior de Educação de Coimbra)
- António Almeida (Instituto Politécnico de Leiria)
- Bruno Sousa (Instituto Politécnico do Cávado e do Ave)
- Cândida Cadavez (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Carlos Ferreira (Universidade de Coimbra)
- Cátia Morgado (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Celeste Eusébio (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Cláudia Almeida (Universidade do Algarve)
- Cláudia Seabra (Universidade de Coimbra)
- Cristina Novais (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Dália Liberato (Instituto Politécnico do Porto)
- Daniela Alvares (Universidade dos Açores)
- Didiana Fernandes (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Dora Gomes (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Douglas Cardoso (Instituto Politécnico de Tomar)
- Eduardo Brito-Henriques (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Eduardo Gonçalves (Universidade da Maia)
- Elisabeth Kastenholz (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Emese Panyik (Universidade Católica do Porto)
- Eugénia Devile (Instituto Politécnico de Coimbra)
- Eunice Duarte (Instituto Politécnico de Setúbal)
- Eunice Lopes (Instituto Politécnico de Tomar)
- Fatemeh Bagheri (Universidade do Algarve)
- Filipa Brandão (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Filipa Perdigão (Universidade do Algarve)
- Fiona Bakas (Universidade Lusófona)
- Francesc Fusté-Forné (Universitat de Girona)
- Francisco Silva (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- George Ramos (Instituto Politécnico de Castelo Branco)
- Gilberto Costa (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Graça Joaquim (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Inês Carvalho (Universidade Europeia)
- Isabel Borges (Escola Superior de Tecnologias de Fafe)
- Isabel Vieira (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Isilda Leitão (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Jaime Serra (Universidade de Évora)
- Joana Lima (Universidade de Évora)
- João Estêvão (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- João Heitor (ISG - Business & Economics School)
- João Jorge (Instituto Politécnico de Leiria)
- João Reis (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- João Rosário (Instituto Politécnico de Lisboa)
- Jorge Umbelino (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Josefina Salvado (Universidade de Coimbra)
- Leslie Berenice Marquez-Rosado (UNAM)
- Luís Mota (Universidade Europeia)
- Luís Silveira (Universidade de Coimbra)
- Lurdes Calisto (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Lurdes Martins (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Makhabbat Ramazanova (Universidade Portucalense Infante D. Henrique)
- Manuel Salgado (Instituto Politécnico da Guarda)
- Marcelo Oliveira (Universidade Europeia)
- María del Pilar Pascual-Fraile (Universidad Rey Juan Carlos)
- Maria João Carneiro (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Mariana Carvalho (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Mariana Casal-Ribeiro (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Marília Durão (Universidade Portucalense Infante D. Henrique)
- Mário Silva (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Marta Amaral (Instituto Politécnico de Beja)
- Medéia Veríssimo (Universidade Portucalense Infante D. Henrique)
- Michał Żemła (Faculty of Management and Social Communication)
- Mónica Brito (Universidade de Évora)
- Mónica Oliveira (Instituto Politécnico do Porto)
- Noémi Marujo (Universidade de Évora)
- Nuno Abranja (ISCE - Instituto Superior de Lisboa e Vale do Tejo)
- Nuno Almeida (Instituto Politécnico de Leiria)
- Nuno Gustavo (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Nuno Ricardo Dias (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Núria Guitart (Barcelona School of Tourism)
- Paula Carvalho (ISEC Lisboa)
- Paula Proença (Instituto Politécnico da Guarda)
- Paulo Almeida (Instituto Politécnico de Leiria)
- Priscila Chiatone (ersidade Federal de Pelotas)
- Rafaela Silva (Instituto Politécnico da Guarda)
- Raquel Moreira (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Raúl Filipe (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Ricardo Bonacho (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Rita Peres (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Rosário Borges (Universidade de Évora)
- Rui Costa (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Rui Ferreira (Universidade de Coimbra)
- Sara Sousa (Universidade Europeia)
- Sofia Almeida (Universidade Europeia)
- Sofia Lopes (Universidade Europeia)
- Stephen Pratt (University of Central Florida)
- Susana Gonçalves (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Susana Lima (Escola Superior de Educação de Coimbra)
- Susana Mesquita (Universidade de Aveiro)
- Susana Teles (Universidade da Madeira)
- Suzanne Amaro (Instituto Politécnico de Viseu)
- Teresa Costa (Instituto Politécnico de Setúbal)
- Teresa Villacé-Molinero (Universidad Rey Juan Carlos)
- Tiago Lopes (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Valeria Klitsounova (Belarusia State University)
- Vânia Costa (Instituto Politécnico do Cávado e do Ave)
- Vasco Ribeiro (Instituto Politécnico Santarém)
- Victor Afonso (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
- Vítor Ambrósio (Escola Superior de Hotelaria e Turismo do Estoril)
Scientific research unit focused on the production and dissemination of knowledge in different areas of Geography. Formally recognized by the Foundation for Science and Technology since 2008, it results from the cooperation of the Departments of Geography of the University of Coimbra and the University of Porto. CEGOT is thus above all a space for collaboration, in which individual research interests are articulated with collective objectives, gathered around a geographical vision of development, both in its conceptual aspect and in its articulation with planning and spatial planning.
CiTUR is an R&D unit of the national higher education polytechnic subsystem that associates 17 institutions (universities and polytechnics) and involves more than 200 researchers. Its mission is the development of applied research with multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary character, the production and sharing of scientific knowledge in tourism. It aims to be a leader in applied research, development and innovation; to be recognized by civil society and business for its superior ability to generate and share knowledge in tourism.
Integrated in the Ministry of Economy and Sea, Turismo de Portugal is the National Tourist Authority. National Tourist Authority. Responsible for the promotion, enhancement and sustainability of tourism activity, it brings together in a single entity all the institutional competences related to the dynamization of tourism, from supply to demand. With a privileged relationship with other public entities and economic agents in the country and abroad, Turismo de Portugal is committed to strengthening tourism as one of the main growth engines of the Portuguese economy.
Turismo Centro de Portugal is a public collective entity, associative in nature, with administrative and financial autonomy and its own assets. It is the Regional Tourism Authority responsible for promoting tourism in Central Portugal. (Mission of enhancing and developing the tourism potential of the respective regional tourism area, the internal promotion and in the wider internal market of regional tourist destinations, as well as the integrated management of destinations in the framework of regional tourism development, in accordance with the guidelines and directives of the tourism policy defined by the Government and the pluri-annual plans of the central administration and the municipalities that integrate it).
Vila Galé (partner in accommodation – 10% discount and special rates apply for DSOTT'23 participants)
The Vila Galé Group is one of the main Portuguese hotel groups and is part of the ranking of the 182 largest hotel companies worldwide. It is composed by several companies, from which stands out, by its dimension and importance, the VILA GALÉ - Sociedade de Empreendimentos Turísticos, S.A., which is part of Rating 1 of Portuguese companies. This company, founded in 1986, is dedicated to the operation and management of all hotel units that make up the group and also to the realization of projects and the construction of new tourist developments. The Vila Galé Group is currently responsible for the management of 37 hotel units: 27 in Portugal and 10 in Brazil, with a total of 8,002 rooms and 18,260 beds.
Eventkey has the best event management platform on the market as well as the best solutions for creating WebApp's / MobileApp's. It also has the latest equipment on the market to meet the needs of its clients.
The Associação da Hotelaria, Restauração e Similares de Portugal (AHRESP) was founded in 1896. Currently, it is the largest business association in the defense and representation of a sector that is one of the most important locomotives of development and economy of Portuguese society: Tourism. We have scale, we support your business on several fronts. We are, above all, YOUR NETWORK, as we intervene daily in key points for the defense and progress of your business. Behind Who We Are, there is an unwavering mission, which is the defense, support and representativeness of our members, who are the reason for our existence.
Delta Coffee, in the form of its founder, Manuel Rui Azinhais Nabeiro, brought the magic of coffee into the business model.
Well versed in the coffee market and an entrepreneur by nature, Rui Nabeiro decided to create his own brand of coffee in 1961. In the Alentejo town of Campo Maior, in a small warehouse with 50 square metres of space and without many resources, activity started with just two small roasters with a capacity of 30 kg. The relationship between Delta and its clients is just the same as the relationship between the man at the counter, and his regular customer, who have come to trust each other and to share life in the flavour and aroma of a cup of coffee.
Águas de Coimbra
Águas de Coimbra, officially called AC, Águas de Coimbra, E.M., is a municipal company, statutorily, administratively and financially autonomous, with its share capital fully owned by Coimbra City Hall. It reached the first place in the market study that evaluates customer satisfaction and experience, carried out by the New University of Lisbon and the Portuguese Association for Quality - the BECX 2022 (Best European Customer Experience) or Best Customer Experience.
Câmara Municipal de Coimbra
Coimbra is close to everything. Coimbra has everything. Coimbra is the place.
The municipality is committed to supporting the creation of startups in their leverage and internationalization, to consolidating the health and software clusters, promoting the development of other clusters with potential, and to making Coimbra an increasingly competitive and attractive city for business ideas, entrepreneurs, and national and international investors.
We are a collaborative network of people and laboratories serving our customers. This network is integrated into the more global ALS network in more than 70 countries, which allows us to offer our customers a unique range of services. All the human and technological resources of ALS Global are thus at the disposal of Iberian companies for their expansion, qualification, customer satisfaction and continuous improvement of their products and processes. We exist to serve our customers, companies and public institutions and to provide them with the solutions they need, every time. Every day we will be closer to our customers, to satisfy their needs, in Portugal and in the World.
Biosphere helps you to define, organise and make your sustainable goals and priorities visible. A model to work on your own personalised sustainability plan: you decide which criteria to include in your plan, organising your efforts by Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and United Nations goals. Our system contributes to highlighting your good practices and improving your positioning, allowing your organisation to reach a market that is looking for more sustainable experiences.
Caves do Solar de São Domingos
The company Caves do Solar de São Domingos was founded by Elpídio Martins Semedo in 1937 and, since 1970, was directed by Lopo de Sousa Freitas, responsible for the great development of the house over the last decades.. Initially focused on the production of sparkling wines, with which it has obtained high national and international recognition, over time the range of products has been expanded, adding old spirits, spirits and Bairrada wines, always maintaining a constant concern with quality. Today, the Solar de São Domingos Cellars house in their galleries more than two million bottles of sparkling wine - classic method, allowing an average ageing period of 2 to 10 years in the cellar, many thousands of bottled wines and hundreds of quartolas in French oak for their famous brandies. The Aguardente Bagaceira "SÃO DOMINGOS", produced in its own stills, continues to lead the market with the same quality as ever.